Tuesday, August 14, 2012

Adventures Alone: Day 6

Liem: 28 months
Priscilla: 14 days

Today's lessons were in Potty Training 101. I wish I could pay someone to handle this part of parenting for me.

Mommy's Lesson 1: Make Liem pee before giving him a potty book. Liem takes a while to go to the bathroom, it's not always a quick process. To pass the time, we give him a book to read/look at. He has begun to forget to "aim" in his excitement to read his book. So it is a regular occurrence now for him to miss the toilet all together and pee out from under the book and all over the bathroom. Why I didn't think of it sooner, I don't know; but now he has to pee before he gets a book (the rest of the processes he can have a book for). This is a very valuable lesson for me to have learned.

Mommy's Lesson 2: Chants and Sing-songs make it more fun. Daddy came up with this one and, again, I should have thought of this before. But during his night-time routine, I hear from the bathroom, "Liem make poo-poo. Liem make poo-poo." Not overly original or novel, but obviously effective. He went poo-poo. I will have to come up with more of these.

Liem's Lesson: Don't pee on Mater. We took Liem to the store and made a very big deal about buying big boy underwear. He knows how to use the bathroom, but forgets to go. So I thought maybe big boy underwear would help him remember. (Potty candy and other enticements have not worked.) He knows not to pee on Mommy's floor or our bed; and says just that all the time: "Don't pee on Mommy's floor." So I have now added, "Don't pee on Mater" (the character on his underwear) to the repertoire. We are going to have to keep working on this one; because Mater wasn't the only one to suffer, my couch suffered the harsh consequences of the failed day 1 of Potty Training 101.

A picture of me and my beautiful children from my birthday yesterday:

2 comments:

  1. I thought the same thing with Chloe. If I could pay someone. You look amazing! Love the picture!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you!! And I'm pretty sure that if someone wanted to start a potty training business, they would be rich.

      Delete